Before Using eSR:
- Determine which chapter of the Bankruptcy Code you are eligible for by reviewing Bankruptcy Basics.
- Obtain credit counseling from a court-approved credit counseling agency.
- Gather all your financial documents.
Preparing and Submitting a Voluntary Petition Packet Using eSR:
- Create a user profile by providing an email address (this will serve as your login ID) and create a password for eSR.
- Using eSR, answer questions about your property, income, and debts.
- Submit the bankruptcy filing.
Note: The bankruptcy petition will NOT be officially filed until you receive a Notice of Bankruptcy Case Filing from the court with a case number.
After Petition Packet is Submitted:
- A confirmation email will be sent electronically to the email address associated with the bankruptcy petition packet.
- A Notice of Bankruptcy Case Filing containing a case number will be electronically sent to the debtor within 1 – 2 business days of petition submission.
- An originally signed Voluntary Petition and Declaration Regarding Electronic Filing (eSR) form must be delivered to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Michigan within 7 days from the date of the Notice of Bankruptcy Case Filing.
- Payment of the required filing fee and other required documents will be due within 14 days of the Notice of Bankruptcy Case Filing. See Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Filing Checklists.